Re: Unify the Platforms: Cairo+FreeType+Harfbuzz Everywhere (except TTY)

From: Julius Pfrommer
Subject: Re: Unify the Platforms: Cairo+FreeType+Harfbuzz Everywhere (except TTY)
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 16:59:53 +0200

Eli,

> Any work in this direction is and always has been welcome.  The
> practical problem with that is that you need to have access to all
> the supported platforms to make sure the refactoring works.
>
> FWIW, I'm not sure I share your optimism regarding the Cairo way, I
> think it requires something from the system as well, so it might be
> not so easy.
>
> And the GUI toolkits are AFAIU a separate issue, not directly related
> to how we draw to the glass.

I am well aware of the effort to keep the many different platforms
alive.

Let me phrase the question differently: Would it be okay to have a hard
dependency on the Cairo+FreeType+Harfbuzz (CFH) libraries, as they are
available everywhere?

It would be a pity to invest time into a direction that is infeasible
from the outset.

Even on Linux, this would unlock quite a few simplifications. I count
at least three font handling "backends" here.

Regards, Julius