Re: reverting non-existent file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: reverting non-existent file
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 21:22:01 +0300

> From: Colin Baxter <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 17:13:22 +0100
>
> 1. emacs -Q <RET>
> 2. C-x C-f some-non-existing-file-name <RET>
> 3. M-x add-file-local-variable-prop-line <RET>
> 4. coding <RET>
> 5. iso-2022-jp <RET>
> 6. Told to revert file for effect to take place.
> 7. M-x revert-buffer <RET>
> 8. yes <RET>
> 9. Told cannot revert nonexistent file.
>
> The same effect occurs with other codings, for example utf-16 - but not
> with utf-8-unix. I'm using emacs-28.0.50.

I get the error message even if I don't do steps 3 to 6.  And that is
expected, as a non-existent file cannot be reverted.  So what did you
find surprising in this behavior?

(I'm guessing that your locale uses UTF-8 as its codeset, so the new
file's buffer has utf-8 encoding from the get-go, and thus adding the
local variable doesn't change the coding-system, and you are not asked
to revert the buffer.  Which is also expected.)

Confused.