Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 15:50:52 -0400

> Do we have a mechanism to declare that a package is not intended to be
> brought into core, unless changed to follow the same standards and
> guidelines as the core does?

Being a GNU ELPA package does not mean "intends to be brought into core".
Never has, never will.

There are packages in GNU ELPA which I'd like to see included in Emacs's
tarball (either by moving them to emacs.git or by bundling them when
creating the tarball).  Currently, these are just plans, tho.

> If not, can we come up with such a mechanism?

I guess we could.  We'd first have to clarify exactly how this mechanism
would be used in order to know how to design it.  But at least we could
start by just adding a special header `On-The-Way-To-Emacs: yes` for
those packages which we "intend" to include in the tarball.

> A package that is thus declared can then be exempt from some of the
> requirements (we still need to agree on which ones, though).

If we only label those rare ones for which we do have plans to integrate
them, we don't need to "agree first" since in case of disagreement the
package just won't be integrated.

Personally I don't see much benefit in such labeling: the way I expect
it to work is rather:
- Shouldn't we include SuperFoo into the tarball?
- Oh, yes, good idea.  Let's see ... is it in a good enough shape?
- Almost, we just have to fix this and that.
- OK, let's do that.
- [time passes]
- Alright, now this and that has been fixed, let's include it.
- Great, thanks, done.
No labeling involved.

        Stefan