Re: ELPA policy

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 18:06:05 +0300

On 09.05.2020 09:22, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
And why do I have to submit bug reports against an ELPA package for
violation of our coding conventions?

Because it's the only way how things can work well. Once we have a bug tracker that most maintainers like to use, that could change.

I'd expect the maintainer of the
package to be asked to fix those as a precondition for accepting the
package in GNU ELPA, or at least as a long-term plan to which the
maintainer agreed in advance (in which case no bug report would have
been necessary).

What am I missing here?

You're missing that the maintainers don't have any contractual obligations. The more conditions we add, and the less effort we want to expend ourselves [forwarding bug reports], the higher the odds are that we end up with fewer contributions/stale code/untended bug reports.