Re: ELPA policy

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 19:16:03 -0400

>> > FWIW, I took a cursory look at dash.el in ELPA, and was surprised to
>> > see that its doc strings are not according to our coding conventions,
>> > and functions/macros that clearly aren't internal don't follow the
>> > naming conventions.
>> Then I suggest you file a bug report with the author.
> Aren't ELPA bugs reported via our bug tracker?

We tell users that they can submit bug reports via our bug tracker.
And maintainers are free to use other bug trackers.
Ideally they should keep an eye on our tracker, or else someone needs to
forward our bugs to their tracker when such things happen.

IOW, as a user of dash.el you can submit your bug report via `M-x
report-emacs-bug` (and if needed, hopefully someone will forward it to
where the maintainer will see it).

>> > So maybe it's time we defined the minimum requirements for packages to
>> > be included in ELPA?
>> What good would it do?
> <Shrug> It will get us on the same page when we are reviewing packages
> and patches for ELPA.

That's not a very high concern for me, compared to the concern of keeping
GNU ELPA relevant and vaguely up-to-date.

        Stefan