Re: Questions about throw-on-input

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Questions about throw-on-input
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 13:41:31 +0300

> From: yyoncho <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 00:11:26 +0300
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> Out of curiosity, do you think that having a function
> (process-events) which will process all keyboard(?) events
> and resume the current invocation can be implemented easily?

By "processing all keyboard events" do you mean invoking the commands
those events are bound to?  If so, I don't think we have machinery to
do that in Emacs: there's too much of global state that would get in
the way.

> AFAIK a lot of gui toolkits have that kind of function, e. g.
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.forms.application.doevents?view=netcore-3.1
>
> IMO it will be very useful for certain cases.

AFAIU, such facilities need to have a separate event loop that
generally runs in a separate thread.