Re: browse-url-of-buffer broken at HEAD?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: browse-url-of-buffer broken at HEAD?
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 23:06:00 +0200

"T.V Raman" <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks!

Ok, it's the handler for opening all file:// URLs using browse-url-emacs
which basically just visits them using find-file.  With commit
86fef6ab89 I've added another default handler before that which matches
file://.*\.html? URLs and opens those with browse-url-browser-function.
So it should work as you are accustomed again.

The error

  File mode specification error: (file-missing Setting current directory No
such file or directory file:///tmp/)

is not my fault but I also get it when evaling

  (browse-url-emacs "file:///tmp/burl6qUEJq.html")

Ok, I found the culprit in my customization.  The buffer gets opened in
html-mode which inherits from prog-mode and in prog-mode-hook I enable
bug-reference-mode.  Inside bug-reference-mode-hook I have a function
which sets bug-reference-bug-regexp and bug-reference-url-format
depending on things like the current Gnus group or the current buffer
file's VCS URL.  For the latter, it does

  (shell-command-to-string "git ls-remote --get-url")

and that (or rather call-process called somewhere deeper in the stack)
barfs if default-directory is a file:///tmp/ URL.

I'm not sure if this is a bug but I think so.  I'll report it.

Thanks,
  Tassilo