Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 14:39:13 -0400

>> There is a naming standard that every Elisp programmer must learn, it's
>> the use of a namespace prefix to group elements.  Sadly, this standard
>> is only taken half-seriously for non-core Elisp definitions.
>
> Hmmm. You are implying that "core" definitions are exempted from
> this right?

No, I mean that we  take this convention half-seriously for non-core
code, and we mostly disregard it for core code.

And all this discussion is about some of us thinking that we *should*
take it quarter-seriously for the some of the core as well.

There can be good reasons to have exceptions, exemptions, etc... but
they should be understood as that.  From this point of view, I think
it's hard to justify an exception for `multibyte-string-p` (the only
argument so far would be that it returns nil rather than signaling an
error when called with a non-string, making it marginally more like
a type-test than about extracting a 1bit-field from a string data
object).

>    João "who thinks this renaming has a bit of good ol' OCD in it"

Could be.  But I think it's also just good practice.
OCD would be to force the use of such namespacing *everywhere* and we're
pretty far from that.

        Stefan