Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: chad
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 17:00:13 -0700

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 7:16 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: chad <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 17:12:00 -0700
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> I think that it's fair to say that it currently leans away from the method that a large
> number of new coders are demonstrating that they prefer. The question is if and how far emacs is willing to
> change to adapt.

IMNSHO, it's inaccurate, and even somewhat unfair, to claim that Emacs
doesn't adapt.

Nowhere did I "claim that Emacs doesn't adapt". I asked, in a very specific context that you quoted, if and how far emacs is willing to change to adapt (to "the method that a large number of new coders are demonstrating that they prefer"), since it is already adapting (in many, many ways). I will also claim that emacs-devel, as evidenced by this discussion, at least somewhat resistant to change.

Resistance to change is a very common attribute, especially of older systems, systems that value stability, and systems that value history -- all of which, I think you and I agree, is true of Emacs/elisp/emacs-devel. It is not a fault, although it can be pushed to an extreme that becomes a fault. In many contexts, it is a strong virtue. For one example, search for Jamie Zawinski's comments on "The CADT Model".

I hope that makes my point clear. And, because I haven't said it in a while, thanks again for all that you do for emacs!
~Chad