Re: "Bringing GNU Emacs to Native Code" at the European Lisp Symposium

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "Bringing GNU Emacs to Native Code" at the European Lisp Symposium
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 23:44:51 -0400

  > This the point.  I think we could at best make this assumption only on
  > calls to C primitives (that we assume cannot be redefined) that are
  > known to be side effect free and not to use global variable bindings in
  > general.  Any other call must have all variables spilled first.

You're concerned about the possibility of redefining Lisp functions
defined in other files, and that the new function definitions might
touch variables bound in your file.

I think it is legitimate to compile assuming they don't do that.  How
about seeing where you can get, that way?

  >   Given the discussed
  > suspect of poor performance I intentionally left this task aside to work
  > on more urgent tasks.  Nothing prevents to have a try on this later if
  > we think is really important.

That seems right to me.  I am not saying this particular issue is urgent.
Only that it should get done by and by.

--
Dr Richard Stallman