Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 23:42:54 -0400

  > > Emacs would be a more drastic UI change than the one Blender made,

  > Njah, they rewrote their GUI code almost completely.

I think we are talking past each other.

I don't use Blender, I don't know the field of animation, and I could
be misunderstanding everything about it.  But I think that in Blender,
the command set is just an interface, whereas in Emacs, the commands
are what it is.

I think that animation is fundamentally more complex than text.  Not
just a little more complex, but enormously and deeply so.  I expect
Blender has a lot of very different and very complex things it can do
to the animation being edited.  So a Blender user would be thinking
all the time about which complex and sophisticated operation perse
wants to do next, and the commands to invoke the operation would be
secondary.

Whereas in Emacs, I think, we are focused on lots of commands to
do more-or-less transparent things with text.

                                                         But anyway, would
  > that necessary be a bad thing?

You can develop another interface to Emacs.  We could support it as an option,
but it would not be Emacs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman