Re: master c59e878: Inhibit modification hooks when saving eieio-persist

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master c59e878: Inhibit modification hooks when saving eieio-persistent's
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 18:40:52 -0400

> I don't want to conceal that I have on-screen.el making use of
> after-change hooks - but I dunno what other people might have put
> there.

Indeed, on-screen.el adds itself *globally* to `after-change-functions`
so it's also applied to temp buffers.  Sounds like a performance bug in
`on-screen.el`.

Do you still see the performance problem if you don't enable `on-screen`?

>> Have you tried to use `combine-change-calls`?
> No, but that's something I can try, yes.  Actually, `object-write' would
> be the better place to use this,

Not necessarily: it could be too slow (because of the cost to
enter/leave `combine-change-calls`).

        Stefan