Re: "Bringing GNU Emacs to Native Code" at the European Lisp Symposium

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: "Bringing GNU Emacs to Native Code" at the European Lisp Symposium
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 20:32:27 +0000

>    > "The proposed compiler focuses on generating
>    >  code for the new lexically scoped dialect only,
>    >  since the dynamic one is considered obsolete
>    >  and close to deprecation."
>
> We might someday decide to deprecate dynamic binding mode, but that
> would be years away.  Unless/until we do so, new features in Emacs
> should support both.
>
> It won't be difficult to support both.

Hi Richard,

I have not taken any design decision that excludes supporting dynamic
binding mode for the future.  I've been working on tasks that I consider
higher priority as completing the integration with Emacs and I'm
starting now with anonymous lambdas compilation.

We can always discuss the dynamic binding support but has also to be
considered that the performance uplift is expected to be smaller for
this.

  Andrea

--
address@hidden