Re: Emacs canvas support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Emacs canvas support
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 18:41:08 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> So this _is_ a way of putting images on the Emacs display, but in a
> way that creates the image dynamically from Lisp, instead of reading
> it from a file or producing the binary data for that image.  Right?

Yes.
> Incidentally, how does this compare with functions in svg.el?

While right now svg.el seems to have more features, it isn't
particularly well suited to displaying things quickly.

In fact, my own bad experiences with using svg.el to draw rapidly
changing information inspired me to begin working on this.

In the future, I hope that canvases also become more flexible than
svg.el.  A nice goal would be to have everything cairo has.