Re: evaluating numbers

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: evaluating numbers
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 17:00:06 +0900

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 16:08, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 08:16:47 +0900
>>
>> @Eli Maybe historically but also generally speaking, is it more convenient
>> to implement characters as integers because that was the way it is done in
>> other languages like C (which plays an important part in Emacs) ?
>
> I think for the rest of this discussion to be meaningful you should
> tell what alternatives to the current representation do you have in
> mind.  Otherwise, when you say "more convenient", that begs the
> question "more convenient compared to what?"

My original mail was about the Emacs lisp manual where it is written that
characters are implemented as integers and I did not understand what that
meant. Richard replied that it was indeed more convenient at the time to have
that implementation rather than another. As far as I'm concerned, Richard's
reply was the best conclusion I could expect.

Jean-Christophe Helary