RE: "Bringing GNU Emacs to Native Code" at the European Lisp Symposium

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: "Bringing GNU Emacs to Native Code" at the European Lisp Symposium
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:51:11 -0700 (PDT)

> > Dunno who, besides perhaps Stefan, considers
> > dynamic binding in Elisp to be "obsolete and
> > close to deprecation".  That would be a mistake.
>
> You're confusing "dynamic binding" with "the
> dynamically scoped dialect of Elisp".  Dynamic
> binding is very much alive in "the lexically scoped
> dialect of Elisp" with no plan to deprecate it.

You can say I'm confused, and you throw out
undefined terms like "the ___ scoped dialect of
Elisp".  (Undefined in both your mail and the
paper.  As one of the two main reviewers of the
paper, perhaps that's your undefined term?)

I'm talking about what Common Lisp calls
"indefinite scope and dynamic extent", i.e.,
what Common Lisp special variables have.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/clm/node43.html

What does your "dynamically scoped dialect of
Elisp" entail, that's not included in the use
of special variables (infinite scope and dynamic
extent)?  What's excluded in the limitation to
"the new lexically scoped dialect only"?

If all that you really mean is the behavior when
variable `lexical-binding' is nil, then that
really should have been made clear.  Emacs and
Elisp (e.g. the doc) make no mention of that
variable defining two different Lisp dialects.

If that's all that's meant, it's OK by me.  But
such terminology is misleading (IMO), without
the explanation.