Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 14:23:16 +0200

    >> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
    >> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
    >> address@hidden
    >> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 13:34:13 +0200
    >>
    Eli> I think we should try changing the documentation first, as that is a
    Eli> Good Thing anyway.  When that is done, we could consider whether any
    Eli> code changes are needed.  (I actually expect that to become evident
    Eli> while the documentation is re-written in the directions I proposed:
    Eli> whoever will do that job will discover that, for example, to be able
    Eli> to produce a stand-alone document with Org, one would need features
    Eli> that currently belong to some unrelated Org part -- which would mean
    Eli> some code needs to be added or modified to make that feature
    Eli> seamlessly available to document-writers.)
    >>
    >> That depends on what you mean by 'stand-alone'. The built-in Org mode
    >> from 'emacs -Q' can export to at least html, latex, pdf and odt by
    >> default, of which only latex and pdf require the installation of extra
    >> external tools.

    Eli> That's orthogonal.  By "stand-alone" I meant a document that doesn't
    Eli> require support from any additional Org features, like TODO notes,
    Eli> calendar appointments, etc.  Just a document that includes structured
    Eli> text.

None of those additional features are *required* for a document. All
you need to produce a document is org-markup, like

    This is some *bold* text, this is some /italic/ text, and this should
    be =monospace=

You donʼt even have to use headings if you donʼt want to. Or
footnotes. Or links. Or inline latex. But you *can* if you want
to.

Robert