Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay, was: Re: emacs rendering

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay, was: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 13:17:11 -0400

> The current implementation is too rich for my blood (starting with no
> documentation for try_scrolling's arguments). But here's the idea:
>
> At the beginning of each command, we can save the value of point. If, at the
> end, we're still in the same buffer, and the new value of point fails the
> scroll-conservatively check, count the lines between the previous value of
> point and the new one. If that number is <= scroll-conservatively, then
> scroll "conservatively" anyway.

Another approach could be:

- distinguish the user's setting of scroll-conservatively from the one
  that applies to the current redisplay.
- increase the redisplay's current value of scroll-conservatively each
  time redisplay is skipped.
- reset the redisplay's current value of scroll-conservatively to the
  variable's value every time redisplay took place.

        Stefan