Re: Scan of Emacs regexp mistakes

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Scan of Emacs regexp mistakes
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 12:29:01 +0200

15 apr. 2020 kl. 20.19 skrev Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:

> Should those trailing "$"s be changed to "\\'"s?

Thanks, now fixed. (Those weren't caught by relint but by manual inspection,
hence the unfinished work.)

> We shouldn't have two names for the same variable. I suggest obsoleting
> dired-re-no-dot and replacing its only use with
> directory-files-no-dot-files-regexp.

Yes; the initial changes were deliberately limited in scope.

> As Drew's comments make evident, the doc string is unclear.  It should be
> something like 'Regexp that matches part of a nonempty string if the string
> is neither "." nor "..".'

A clarification has been added, and a note about the intended use.

> Shouldn't this and similar uses of (rx (or (not ".") "...")) be replaced by
> directory-files-no-dot-files-regexp?  That would be clearer.

Very much so.
All done on master.

> I agree with you that directory-files should not return "." and "..", though
> that indeed is a different topic.

Seems to be a common syndrome in older runtimes (Emacs Lisp, Perl), absent in
newer ones (OCaml, Python).