Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in E

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in Emacs)
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2020 19:01:58 -0400

> 0.76 / 0.13 ~= 5.86
>
> Alan's difference is bigger, but not by much:
>
> 1.24 / 0.18 ~= 6.88
> 1.18 (from another email) / 0.18 ~= 6.55

That does remind me that I've had the impression "lately" that debug
builds are much slower than they used to be.  I suspect (for no reason
other than lack of imagination on my part) this is linked to the changes
from macros to inlinable functions.  When Paul started doing that we
tried to keep some "important" macros as macros (depending on
DEFINE_KEY_OPS_AS_MACROS) to keep the performance impact under control.
Maybe something changed in this respect (maybe we should add a few more
fallback-macros into the set of functions affected by
DEFINE_KEY_OPS_AS_MACROS, or maybe something prevents
DEFINE_KEY_OPS_AS_MACROS from doing its job, or ...)?

        Stefan