Re: Error in C++ mode with Emacs 27.0.90

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Error in C++ mode with Emacs 27.0.90
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 15:52:42 +0300

On 04.04.2020 14:46, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

It seems unlikely that we can get a nested list (in imenu--index-alist)
with only one element.  I have tried creating a C++ buffer with 25
functions in it.  This gives a simple list of 25 elements.  With 26
functions, I get a nested alist with two elements.

What's the worst that can happen in this case? We get a nested submenu
with just one element?

Probably.

Doesn't sound too scary.

If you're implying we can get rid of the check and always return (cdr
menu), I say let's try.

I think we can get rid of the check and just use (cdr menu), yes.  In
master, that is.

Ok.

Maybe for the release branch he would let in a patch like the one I've
already applied.

Would you like to propose one? Given that we'd be copying your code anyway.

imenu is _complicated_.

I think it's just overdoing with its list-of-lists approach, instead of proper structs. And it seems like we're dealing with extraneous code anyway (maybe even a premature optimization of sorts).