Re: Font Locking issue: Need help/advice

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Font Locking issue: Need help/advice
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 10:27:12 -0800

Serghei Iakovlev <address@hidden> writes:

> I am creating a new mode called zephir-mode [1].  The main goals of
> this mode is to provide syntax highlighting, indentation, movement,
> navigation support and Imenu for Zephir [2] language.

The ELPA package wisi can help here (I'm the author).

> Currently I'm working on fontification and faced a strange
> behavior.  Please see animated GIF I attached to this email to
> demonstrate the issue.  The code responsible for fontification
> demonstrated in GIF is located here [3].  I used GNU Emacs 27.0.90
> to demonstrate and test this issue.

This is the kind of thing that made move away from regexp to a true
parser for ada-mode, which eventually led to the current wisi package.

> I'd like to provide the patterns I'm trying to catch:
>
>   protected foo;
>   protected static foo;
>   public bar = 1;
>   private baz = [];
>   private baz = [] { set };
>   protectd foo { get };
>   public static bar = 42;
>   private static baz = 13 { get };
>   private baz = 13 { get, set, toString };

This definitely would be easier with a parser.

> - What happens on the GIF?  How I can fix this? How to avoid similar
>   in the future?
>

> - In fact, I would like to be able to independently receive the
>   answer to the question "Why did this happen?" so I'm interesting
>   on debugging practices.  How to debug similar issues?

I did not try to answer these, since my real answer is "use wisi".

> [2]: https://zephir-lang.com

I don't see a grammar there, which is the first step in using wisi. Is
there a grammar available somewhere? or one for a similar language, that
would be easy to modify?

--
-- Stephe