Re: Concurrency Library

From: Zach Shaftel
Subject: Re: Concurrency Library
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 13:00:44 -0400

> Adding these facilities to Emacs Lisp could be very nice.

Very glad to hear it, I've submitted the proposal so hopefully I'll be able to
work on this project soon.

> > I would love to see Clojure's core.async ported to elisp.

I'll certainly look into it, though it probably is outside the scope of a summer
project. I do of course intend to continue the project after GSoC, so that could
be a future endeavor. Perusing the source and docs, core.async relies on thread
pools and I think readers-writer locks, which are among the first few constructs
I plan to implement.

> If "ported to Elisp" means adding its features to Emacs Lisp in a
> clean way, I'm in favor.  But we should think about the interfaces and
> consider whether some changes in them would fit Lisp better.  Clojure
> is like Lisp in many ways, but it does not have Lisp lists.
>
> If it means inserting the code used in Clojure into Emacs Lisp,
> I think that isn't the way to do it right.

I agree, the library should certainly be tailored to Emacs's strengths and
conform to Elisp's idioms, and figuring out the best way to do that is the first
step in my proposal.

-Zach