Re: emacs-tree-sitter and Emacs

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: emacs-tree-sitter and Emacs
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 17:33:45 +0200

> I would think that you at least need to parse everything displayed and
> everything before what is displayed.  (You need all prior context.  What
> if someone opened a comment on line 1 and hasn't closed it, for
> example?

When I open a comment on line 1 of a buffer whose beginning is shown in
one window and whose end is shown in another window, I explicitly do not
expect the code in that other window to show up as commented out.  What
I expect and consider reasonable instead is that any parsing mechanism
considers my code as commented out up to the first open paren in column
0 it finds.  Only if there's no such paren, it may assume that the
comment indeed extends to the end of the buffer.

Am I really the only person on this list who would be content with such
simple behavior?  If so, then I'm really getting too old for this kind
of job.

> )  I don't, however, see a reason you couldn't defer sending the
> rest until afterward, any more than you would have to if the file were
> being typed in, one line at a time.

martin