Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in E

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in Emacs)
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 19:03:47 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 18:27:43 +0300
>
> On 01.04.2020 17:10, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > But in any case, it should be trivially obvious that avoiding to parse
> > the entire buffer will make redisplay faster.  We should try doing
> > that instead of giving up, even if we think the current fontification
> > machinery is slow enough to make the parsing delay not so visible.
>
> I think it's pointless to argue against the current design of TreeSitter
> here, where none of its developers can read it.

If by TreeSitter you mean the parser (not the Emacs package which
interfaces it), then what I proposed is not against their design,
AFAIU.  They provide an API through which we can let the parser access
the buffer text directly, and they explicitly say that the parser is
tolerant to invalid/incomplete syntax trees.  And I don't see how it
could be any different, since when you start writing code, it takes
quite some time before it becomes syntactically complete and valid.