Re: Failing to GC killed buffers considered harmful

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Failing to GC killed buffers considered harmful
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 21:54:27 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:45:48 -0400
> Cc: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>, Pip Cet <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
>
> Could we try and write out buffers such that they are read back as
> something else (e.g. a special record with type `dead-dumped-buffer`)?

What problem will that solve?

The other buffers that we inherit from temacs are all frequently-used
ones, so it makes sense to keep them.  A killed buffer isn't useful,
by contrast.

We could perhaps avoid dumping buffers altogether, and instead create
them all at startup, but it will probably also cause complications,
e.g., because the frame we dump must have a window, which must have a
buffer.  I hope that avoiding to dump that one buffer, even if that
requires to add support for this in pdumper.c, will be easier.