Re: decompress.c now also compresses

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: decompress.c now also compresses
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 18:48:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> Something is wrong with your Git installation, I think: for some
> reason Git thinks that you are replacing the entire decompress.c file,

Yes, apologies. I have two copies of git and emacs keeps finding the
right one, but my msys buffer does not.

> This should be +++, not ---, and we should document this primitive in
> the Elisp manual, like we do with zlib-decompress-region.
> We also request a ChangeLog-style commit log message to go with ach
> contribution; please provide one.

Thanks for this and the style comments.

> Last, but not least: I'm not convinced that we would need such a
> primitive (the decompression primitive was provided to support
> decompression of payloads received via network protocols, but there's
> no similar reason for the compression routine).  So before you invest
> more work in this, let's hear opinions from others regarding the
> necessity.

My reasoning was that (i) it was easy to do while I was watching
COVID-19 news and (ii) on top of this one can almost trivially build a
file handler for *.gz files that does not require gzip (as in the
automatic compression mode). Currently *-deps.zip ships all types of
compressors, including zlib, but not gzip. There may be other use cases,
such as the Emacs web server by E. Schulte (uses zlib-flate and
gzip). But I understand if you find it yet another maintenance hassle.

Cheers,

--
Juan José García Ripoll
http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com