Re: master 9d626df: Add 'nofollow' flag to set-file-modes etc.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master 9d626df: Add 'nofollow' flag to set-file-modes etc.
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 10:15:56 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Paul,

>> But what shall I do if the target system runs GNU/Linux? chmod(1)
>> does not offer any comparable argument. Shall I simply ignore
>> nofollow there?
>
> How about something like this?
>
> if (chmod -h works); then
>   chmod -h MODE FILE
> elif (test -h works); then
>   test -h FILE && chmod MODE FILE
> else
>   chmod MODE FILE
> fi

Hmm. In the Elisp manual, you have added to `set-file-modes':

On platforms that do not support changing mode bits on a symbolic link,
this function signals an error when FILENAME is a symbolic link and FLAG
is ‘nofollow’.

Shouldn't Tramp behave similar, and raise an error if "chmod -h" or
something similar does not work? "Equal rights for all" :-)

Best regards, Michael.