Re: Writing ChangeLog-style commit messages with Magit

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: Writing ChangeLog-style commit messages with Magit
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 09:29:04 -0500

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 at 13:19, Federico Tedin <address@hidden> wrote:

> - Use "C" while on the diff buffer like described here by Jonas:
>
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/13753/insert-changelog-entries-in-commit-message

> - Write and structure the commit message manually (adding change
>   descriptions per file/symbol)
>
> So far I've been writing the commit messages manually (just found out
> about "C-x 4 a"), so I wanted to know if anyone has a workflow similar
> to the first one in the list, or maybe something more automated.

In Emacs 27, there is a somewhat more automated workflow available
from VC as C-c C-w. I have some not-quite-finalized code for using
this functionality from magit at
https://github.com/magit/magit/pull/3928.

There is also a link there to another slightly different approach:
https://github.com/dickmao/magit-patch-changelog (I haven't really
looked at it closely enough to say what the differences are though)