Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 19:42:52 +0100

> Just the previous version of the patch with the same filename. The one in
this email:

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-01/msg00971.html

This one adjusted our windows before issuing the resize request so it
was cheating, in some sense.  It turned out here that we have to issue a
gdk_window_resize request instead of a gtk_window_resize request in
order to have mutter respond at all.  In addition, we have to process
ConfigureNotify differently.  The attached use_gdk_resize.diff does that
so you should be able to run a normal 'set-frame-size' and be able to
resize the child frame within its initial size.  Making the child frame
sufficiently large initially, the patch can handle all resizes here.
It's not a feasible solution and breaks redisplay with xfwm4 though.

I also attach a second patch called hide-child-frame-during-resize.diff
which does nothing else but hiding a child frame during resizing.  You
have to toggle 'x-gtk-hide-child-frame-during-resize' to make it work.
It will cause flicker but is probably the one only thing we could do for
Emacs 27.

Neither of these solutions is practicable so we still have to contact
the mutter people.  Unfortunately, there are probably a number of
additional issues as well so in their present form Emacs and mutter are
not really compatible.

martin