Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 18:37:53 +0000

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 6:16 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> > Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 17:53:02 +0000
> > Cc: Ergus <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>,
> >       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>

> > > I think secondary-emphasis is not a good name, it says nothing about
> > > its use.  We should find a better name.
> >
> > "alternate-emphasis"?
>
> Same problem.  How about "match-emphasis"?

First, I hope we don't confuse ourselves, there is a prefix implicit
here right? It's "completions" (or actually it should be "completion"
singular).  Apologies if I've been sloppy in using and not using
the full name.

So I'm proposing "completion-emphasis", which we seem to agree
on, for _primary_ emphasis, the thing that the matching style wants
to highlight most prominently.

Regarding the second (but not necessarily secondary) face, for other
things the completion style you are proposing "completion-match-emphasis",
right? This is the one aliased to existing "completions-common-part".

It works but it is slightly akward of flex _not_ to use it.  Because
if it uses it, the only reasonable place to put it is in exactly the same
places that it is already applying "completion-emphasis".  But
I don't think there can be two different faces for the same
character in a string, can there?

Nothing a comment in the code can't fix, but users might be
surprised that they customize something with that name and
nothing happens in flex.

I personally don't see it problematic to choose a name that says
less about the use, because we can't predict exactly what the use
is: just that it will be used to highlight parts of completions where
prominence is less important than the one offered by
"completion-emphasis", which defaults to "foreground: bold".

So "alternate", "supporting", "secondary" or anything that expresses
that would be my choices.

João