Re: icalendar.el bug fix patch

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: icalendar.el bug fix patch
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 22:38:49 +0100

1 nov. 2019 kl. 22.19 skrev Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:

> But since the concept is useful, how about if we create an escape for it? For
> example, we could establish \! as a regexp that matches any single character.
> This be more readable than either [^z-a] or \(?:.\|
> \), and would surely help performance as well as readability.

Some time ago I experimented with adding a regexp-engine opcode for anychar,
but didn't observe any significant difference in performance from that of
[^z-a] or \Sq. It is possible that gains could be had if the opcode were to be
exploited on a deeper level, such as producing a fast scan loop for
[^z-a]*STRING. One has to be careful with backtracking, however.

This is orthogonal to the addition of regexp string syntax for anychar (like
\!); neither requires the other.