Re: Strange use of (run-with-timer 0 nil #'foo args) in do-after-load-ev

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Strange use of (run-with-timer 0 nil #'foo args) in do-after-load-evaluation
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 00:20:30 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> > I think having a history for y-or-n-p doesn't sound very useful?
> > Hitting `M-p' doesn't to get to the previous answer just sounds
> > confusing to me.
>
> Please try the example I sent earlier.  It feels quite naturally
> typing 'M-p RET' to repeat a previous y/n answer.

I think this is a misfeature.  Imagine a user answering "Do you want
to save important file X before closing?" and is used to always having
"y" in her history.  This time, "n" was the first item in history
because of some previous but now forgotten invocation the night
before.  But the user hits "M-p RET" by habit, expecting that to mean
"y", and ends up discarding important work.

Using this puts a cognitive load on the user if she doesn't want to
make mistakes.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas