Re: Question Kill-ring modify last entry.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Question Kill-ring modify last entry.
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:42:01 +0300

> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 20:10:43 +0200
> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I have already seen kill-new. I was just preventing myself to reinvent
> the wheel in case there were something else already there.
>
> I was looking for something like `append-next-kill` that I could use for
> `copy-region-as-kill` (or similar), but for replace instead of
> appending and acting on regions instead of passing the string already
> manipulated.

append-next-kill just arranges the next kill to call kill-new with the
REPLACE argument non-nil, that's all.  There's no magic there.  the
easiest way to mimic what append-next-kill does in your commands is to
call kill-new with that argument non-nil.

You asked about the "canonical" way of doing this; that way is to call
kill-new.