NS (darwin): What is the utility of update_window?

From: Keith David Bershatsky
Subject: NS (darwin): What is the utility of update_window?
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 19:47:19 -0700

It is my understanding that 7946445962372c4255180af45cb7c857f1b0b5fa provides
compatibility with MacOS (Mojave) by restricting Emacs in such a way that
nothing is written to the glass until the OS normally draws rectangles during
the redisplay cycle -- forcing everything to happen with drawRect
(expose_frame).

Other than marking dirty rectangles during update_window, does anything else
useful occur during update_window on the NS port of Emacs?  If so, what else is
accomplished during update_window?

BACKGROUND:  Based upon my observations, it would appear that Emacs does extra
work on the NS port that is not needed on the W32 and X11 ports.  Whereas the
W32 and X11 ports can update the glass during update_window, the NS port has to
wait until a later point in time to accomplish almost same thing (but not as
well).