Re: master 6216c7a: Allow specifying that SMTP auth should always be use

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 6216c7a: Allow specifying that SMTP auth should always be used
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 14:07:18 +0200

Robert Pluim <address@hidden> writes:

> If the user can customize smtpmail-servers-requiring-authorization,
> then they can also add an appropriate entry to .authinfo to make
> smtpmail do authentication, so why is such a variable needed?

smtpmail always tries first without auth, and then starts looking around
for credentials if the SMTP servers says "give me credentials".

We could make it start sending credentials immediately if there's an
.authinfo entry, but that'd be a behaviour change, and the user may have
specified just "machine my.mail.host" for (for instance) IMAP usage, and
there's no auth on SMTP, in which case the SMTP server may deny the
connection.

And besides, the user may be typing in the credentials and not using
.authinfo.