Re: Changes in GC and in pure space

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Changes in GC and in pure space
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 18:43:45 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
As it happens, the issue with hash tables is bound up with the unexec thingy, in
that portable dumping currently can screw up hash tables with user-defined
tests.

Note that AFAIK we currently don't dump any such hash-tables, so if
there's a bug there it only affects the case of the user *re*dumping
with a special config, which AFAIK we do not intend to officially
support yet for 27.1.

Although I vaguely recall an email conversation to that effect, I don't see it in the Emacs documentation. And since unexec is now disabled by default, if people want to use any dumping method at all then by default they'll be redumping in the way that you suggest. If we really intend to not support that, we should be clearer about it in NEWS and documentation.

At any rate the simplest workaround is to avoid pdumping the problematic hash tables, and I installed the attached patch to do that. We can add support for pdumping those hash tables later, if anybody cares about it.