Re: tramp-aware eshell-exec-visual

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-aware eshell-exec-visual
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 08:56:46 +0200

Florian Margaine <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Florian,

> I made some small changes to make eshell-exec-visual tramp-aware, at
> least for the ssh method.
>
> I was wondering if you would be interested in having this upstream. I
> can send a proper patch if needed, but I first wanted to know if it was
> worth doing so.

It would be a welcome extension, for sure! See for example bug#36748.

> The function is here:
> https://gist.github.com/ralt/56cac3dbfb9cdb6e36648b5edee2c5ee

Well, I believe the approach does not fly. You shall not use Tramp
internal functions. A better approach would be to make term.el
supporting remote hosts (for example, using start-file-process instead
of start-process). Would you like to work on this?

Note, that for non-trivial contributions to Emacs you would need to
assign the copyright to the Free Software Foundation. Would you be
willing to do that?

> Regards,
> Florian

Best regards, Michael.