Re: [Warning and iso 8859-1 default?]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Warning and iso 8859-1 default?]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 09:24:35 -0400

>> > What problem is that?
>> The problem of saving the file in an encoding that will be mis-detected
>> when read back using that same Emacs.
> That would make saving using any single-byte encoding "a problem",
> right?

Not quite: there's usually one single-byte encoding that's correctly
detected (iso-8859-1 in Uwe's case).

BTW, when I saw "a problem" I don't mean something we should prevent,
but Uwe expected to be warned about it somewhere along the way.

> Rather than calling this a problem we should perhaps work on improving
> detection of single-byte encodings.

Single-byte encodings are pretty rare nowadays, so I'm not sure it's
worth the trouble.  But maybe you're right (e.g. maybe the spread of
utf-8 makes it less frequent for people to have the expertise needed to
guess the right encoding when it's not utf-8).

        Stefan