Re: search-default-mode char-fold-to-regexp and Greek Extended block cha

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: search-default-mode char-fold-to-regexp and Greek Extended block characters
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 18:03:05 +0200

    >> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
    >> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 16:18:52 +0200
    >>
    >> In a buffer containing
    >>
    >> 1. ί (\u03af GREEK SMALL LETTER IOTA WITH TONOS)
    >> 2. ί (\u1f77 GREEK SMALL LETTER IOTA WITH OXIA)
    >>
    >> I do C-s C-x 8 RET 03b9
    >>
    >> isearch will find the iota with tonos, but not the iota with oxia,
    >> even though the decomposition of the decomposition of the latter
    >> contains iota. Is that expected?

    Eli> I suggest to step through the loop in char-fold.el and see what
    Eli> happens there for ί.

After poking around, the char-fold-table entry for \u1f77 contains
\u1f77 and \u03af, but not \u03b9, so this is expected. I then started
looking into the further details of unicode decomposition and
normalization, and decided that I definitely donʼt know enough about
this to decide if this is a bug or not :-)

Robert