Re: dabbrev-expand should escape kbd macros, shouldn't it?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dabbrev-expand should escape kbd macros, shouldn't it?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 01:22:04 +0300

> Most of the time, recorded keystrokes in macros aren't that sensitive
> to _temporal_ and _interbuffer_ context, and dabbrev is, so I think we
> should make an exception for dabbrev.

Recently I had the same thoughts when a kbd macro recorded the paste
keystroke and not the text it pasted (as a sequence of self-inserting
keys).  I know that it records just plain keystrokes, but in that context
the result was unexpected.  However, I don't think that pasting should be
an exception.  Maybe keyboard macros should provide a special macro-escape
feature (like there is a macro-query feature available via ‘C-x q’) to ask
whether to record the keystroke literally or to record the effect of
the command.

This ambiguity demonstrates why it's impossible to implement a package
that would convert keyboard macros to programs - because there are too
many logical levels of how the result of every keystroke can be interpreted
depending on expectancy even of the same user in different contexts.