Re: Performance degradation from long lines

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Performance degradation from long lines
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 19:33:48 +0100

On Thu 18 Jul 2019, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> You are missing the point, I think: this variable's name is known
>> widely enough to make it a de-facto public interface.  Changing its
>> name without an alias will cause breakage to many people's
>> configurations.  However I dislike use of this variable in people's
>> configurations, I cannot break them all just because I dislike that.
>
> I think we all understand that.  But some of us think the breakage will
> be minimal.

It is perfectly reasonable to deprecate the variable. However it is
better to show the user how to fix the problem in their code than just
break previously working code (for some definition of working).

How about renaming all occurences of `bidi-display-reordering' to
`debug--bidi-display-reordering' or similar, and then add something like:

  (make-obsolete-variable 'bidi-display-reordering
   "not used. To disable reordering, use `(setq bidi-paragraph-direction
   'left-to-right)' instead." "27.1")

That would less hostile to users than immediate removal.

    AndyM