Re: OSX FSEvents file watching support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: OSX FSEvents file watching support
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 17:30:05 +0300

Btw, just between us: I'm much less enthusiastic today about file
notifications than I was a few years ago.  Since this feature was
introduced, we have learned about too many problematic cases that
together spell out one simple truth: these facilities are not scalable
enough.  For me, the last straw was when I tried to watch a log file
of building the Boost library in auto-revert-tail-mode -- this
completely broke down because there were many events each second, both
due to changes to the log itself and due to files being
created/modified in the same directory.  Polling, OTOH, had no problem
dealing with this situation.

I'm the last one to discourage someone from hacking Emacs, of course,
but I don't consider adding yet another file notification back-end
such a cool feature, given our somewhat disappointing experience.