Re: problem with old hebrew latex files in iso 8859-8 coding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: problem with old hebrew latex files in iso 8859-8 coding
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 15:15:37 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Cc: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 15:06:43 +0300
>
> > I don't understand what files you attached -- are those the files
> > presumably encoded in ISO8859-8, or after conversion to UTF-8?  What I
> > see are UTF-8 encoded files, but the characters in them are not Hebrew
> > characters, they are Latin characters.
>
> These are the original files, for me GNU emacs present them as they were
> latin-1 encoded, I attach a screen shot.
> Please note the 1 in the left lower corner.

I see the same display after telling Emacs to decode the file as
UTF-8.  Also, the command 'file' agrees with me:

  document.txt: UTF-8 Unicode text, with CRLF line terminators

In any case, it should be clear that displaying Latin character for
what's supposed to be Hebrew text is not what you'd expect, right?

Please send me the file which, when visited in Emacs, shows the
display of the image you posted.  It cannot be the file you posted
originally, because that one is clearly in UTF-8.

> > Can you send the original files, before any conversion/mangling?
>
> These are the original files.

Please re-verify that.  Maybe it's your mailer that did some recoding,
in which case please send the files as a compressed archive.