Re: Performance degradation from long lines

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Performance degradation from long lines
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 09:30:41 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 16:12:26 +0300
>
> On 14.07.2019 8:39, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> Just like that: we rename it and announce the change in etc/NEWS.
> >
> > Sorry, that would be burying our head in the sand.
>
> If the variable is only used out there for performance purposes, or
> temporarily for debugging, I don't think it would lead to any
> significant breakage, even if the former name suddenly stops working.

You are missing the point, I think: this variable's name is known
widely enough to make it a de-facto public interface.  Changing its
name without an alias will cause breakage to many people's
configurations.  However I dislike use of this variable in people's
configurations, I cannot break them all just because I dislike that.

IOW, it's a question of being fair to our users, even if they do
something we don't endorse.