Re: so-long tests

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: so-long tests
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 22:25:26 +1200

On 13/07/19 10:01 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> The inconvenient part of this arrangement is that I at least am in the
> habit of typing "make lisp/foo-tests TAB" in the test/ directory after
> making any changes to lisp/foo.el, and I normally take the lack of
> completion to mean there are no tests for foo.el.  Having to remember
> to look in subdirectories is a burden.

Your shell doesn't complete to the directory so-long-tests/ when you
type TAB?  (Bash does so for me.)

I wonder whether the Makefile could be made to do-the-right-thing if
"make lisp/foo-tests/" is used?  It would make sense to me if running
that command caused all the tests in that directory to run.

That would then resolve this (in)convenience issue for *any* library,
which would seem like the ideal solution to this problem.

I don't really know my way around Makefiles, but perhaps someone who
does will be able to comment?

-Phil