Re: so-long tests

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: so-long tests
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 13:01:55 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Phil Sainty <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 21:41:10 +1200
>
> > Why do we need the exception in this case?  Exceptions should
> > be reserved for exceptional cases.
>
> The reason I used that directory structure is that I ended up
> using multiple test files.  My initial tests were indeed written
> as a test/lisp/so-long-tests.el file, but I switched to the
> alternative structure when I added additional files.

If you'd like to keep the tests on separate files, it's fine with me,
but please add a comment somewhere for why these tests are in a
subdirectory.

The inconvenient part of this arrangement is that I at least am in the
habit of typing "make lisp/foo-tests TAB" in the test/ directory after
making any changes to lisp/foo.el, and I normally take the lack of
completion to mean there are no tests for foo.el.  Having to remember
to look in subdirectories is a burden.  It is up to you to decide
whether your motivation for keeping separate test files is more
important than that.