highlight-indent-guides in display engine

From: Ergus
Subject: highlight-indent-guides in display engine
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 23:17:16 +0200

Hi guys:

This email is a question about the highlight-indent-guides because some
people find that functionality very useful (and it is very common in
ides/editors around).

I am using the package with that name [1] but It affects performance a
lot. Specially scrolling and responsiveness in general. Even when
disabling the animations.
So my question is in two parts:

1) Does emacs already provides a way to reproduce this functionality
that does not kill performance so much, even if we sacrifice some
functionality?

else:

2) Does it make sense to implement it in the display engine as we did
with the fill-column-indicator?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Ergus

[1]: https://github.com/DarthFennec/highlight-indent-guides