Re: Algorithm in electric-pair--unbalanced-strings-p unsuitable for CC M

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Algorithm in electric-pair--unbalanced-strings-p unsuitable for CC Mode
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 13:32:17 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 16:07:59 +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 03.07.2019 13:58, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> >> But only in Emacs 27/cc-mode, probably starting from fe06f64b (that's
> >> a git commit hash).
> > I'm fully aware it's a git commit hash.  Funnily enough, I don't
> > memorise such hashes, so if you wish to draw my attention to some
> > commit, please have the decency to give me its date, and the summary
> > line of its commit message, instead of expecting me to do your work to
> > make your point.

> The rest of the discussion aside, IMO it's a very strange reply. Though
> I might be biased, given that a lot of my software-related discussions
> are on platforms that linkify commit hashes.

> Even so, is calling 'git show fe06f64b' too hard to do?

Yes.  As you'll have noticed, this is an adversarial debate rather than
a constructive cooperation, and expecting me to put in unnecessary work
in order to assist my opponent in making a point against me is not
reasonable.

Surely it is a matter of plain ettiquette: for the writer to put in that
little extra bit of work himself, rather than forcing his readers to do
it.  When writing, I always do this myself.

Besides, other people will read this post, and they'll have to remain
mystified, or put in the work themselves.  Giving a cryptic, rather than
a meaningful, reference thus costs more time than it saves.

Besides[2], the next time we move to a new VCS, the reference will
become totally meaningless.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).