Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 10:57:15 +0300

> Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 10:47:14 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Actually, this patch goes way too far.  It makes _all_ (or maybe
> almost all) writes to stderr use the new line-buffered stream, which
> is the same as making stderr itself line-buffered.
>
> I only agreed to making 'message' write its text in one go.  Let's
> stick to that, please.

Let me clarify: the reason I don't want to make stderr buffered is
that I want all our diagnostic/debug messages to go outside without
buffering as much as possible.  So please let's not consider patches
that switch all those diagnostics to use new code which buffers its
output, because that is exactly why I do NOT want stderr become
buffered.

The 'message' function is another matter, as it frequently used for
purposes other than debugging, and usually from Lisp, not from C.